The History of the McLeod County Fairgrounds and the McLeod County Agricultural Association reads much like a who’s who in McLeod County. Some of the most progressive thinkers of the early 1800’s had a hand in forming what we (the curent fair board) have been named as caretakers of. Changes over the years have included the formation of the Hutchinson Land and Improvement Company. Without the formation of this company the ability to aquire land and eventually (with the help of WPA) build the fairgrounds that many of us grew to know every nook and crannie of would not have happened. The investment of time and talents by these men allowed the Board of Directors to have valuable resources when the time came to relocate.
To allow for plant expansion, in early 1990, 3M (a long time County Fair neighbor) approached the Agricultural Association with an offer to purchase the fairgrounds. Negoiations with 3M, purchase of a new site, planning and construction spanned nearly 4 years. The first County Fair was held at the Century Avenue Site in August of 1993. Because of weather conditions (the fall of 1992, Spring and Summer of 1993 were among the wettest in recorded history) finishing touches to the site were not completed until the summer of 1994. Since that time McLeod County has been admired and envied by countless Fair Associations and persons who have hosted events at the fairgrounds.
2003 began another chapter to the fairgounds history. Because of management issues the Agricultural Association gifted the Fairgrounds to McLeod County with the stipuliation the Agricultural Association would be able to hold a fair at this site each year. The marriage of the County and the Agrucultural Association has allowed continued attention to maintiance and upkeep, The Agricultural Association has, as always, provided a quality County Fair and the facility explores new non fair events while hosting events nearly every weekend throughout the year.