- This event has passed.
CLASS: Oil Painting for Adults
January 9, 2014 @ 6:00 pm - 10:00 pm$160.00
4 Days! Beginning January 9, 2014 at 6pm.
Dates are January 9, 16, 23, and 30th
Time is 6:00pm to 10:00 pm.
Instructor: Jutta-Karin Schultz
I have created a fun and non-intimidating class for beginners to advanced painters. Oil paint is much easier to use once you learn the basics. Everyone paints at their own level and at their own speed. I’m there to share and to help bring out the world of creativity within you!
Students will learn to express themselves through oil painting and explore important painting techniques such as color mixing, color value, composition, glazing, brushwork, paint application, texture and more. Oil paints are sumptuous, exciting, and one of the most popular painting mediums used by artists throughout the world. Relax, de-stress and get inspired with encouraging instruction and fun. Receive the lasting health benefits of painting, such as relaxation, stress relief and mental clarity.
This class is appropriate for all levels of painters. Students with no previous experience will learn basic painting principles, techniques, and receive assistance in the completion of a painting. Returning and more advanced level students will further develop their own personal style, improve color and design skills, and be presented with more advanced painting principles and techniques.
Student will learn:
- How to stretch a canvas
- The importance of value in painting design(light and dark)
- Use of paint, medium and solvents
- Brush Strokes, palette knife use
- Glazing techniques, toning a canvas
- Creating and improving a center of interest
- How to copy an image into a larger size, keeping it in proportion
- Color use, color modification, practical application of the color wheel
- A step by step method to design and complete a strong painting
- Palette set up and techniques
- How to clean Brushes
- Precautions in dealing with toxic materials.
Students will complete one or more oil paintings, depending on individual speed and level of detail. Each week the class will feature one or more new techniques or concepts. Class is offered in a relaxed and supportive environment.
Weekly suggestions for homework to further the students learning will be offered(though not required)
Supply list will be provided and will be discussed at the first class.
Cost is $160
Please bring all of your materials to your first class, with one 11″ x 14″ canvas
- 12″ x 18″ or 11″ x 14″ disposable palette paper
- Two glass jars with lids (like a glass Smucker’s jam jar w/lid or Mrs. Richardson’s Ice Cream topping Jar w/lid)
- Palette knife(s)
- Odorless Paint Thinner or Turpenoid Natural
- Linseed oil, small bottle
- Apron or smock or old long-sleeved shirt
- Rags, Shop Towels (Blue paper towels from Menards) or VIVA paper towels.
- Heavy Duty Staple Gun with staples (2nd. Week; for Stretching canvases)
- At least 4 paint brushes: A mix of Filberts, flats, and rounds and a variety of sizes (very skinny to 1” wide)
- One small tube each of oil paint of good qualityin each of the colors below: (Grumbacher, Windsor/Newton, Dick Blick Paints) [no Walmart paint!]
- (for cadmium colors, it is OK if the word “hue” or “medium” follows the name):
- (5 oz (150 ml) tube) Titanium White
- (1.25 oz (37 ml) Sizes cadmium red medium, alizarin crimson, cadmium yellow medium, prussian blue, ultramarine blue, raw umber, burnt sienna, sap green or viridian green
- To begin with, these Canvas sizes are suggested: (1) 11″ x 14″ canvas and (1) 16” x 20” stretched canvas
If you have your own easel you would like to bring, please feel free to bring it.
Something to carry your wet painting home in.